Scams & Fraud
Sometimes impostors contact PSE&G customers demanding immediate payment and threatening service shut off. Don't be a victim...be prepared.
Protect Yourself - Know the Scams
Residential and small business customers have reported receiving phone calls from individuals claiming to be PSE&G employees. Payment is demanded within hours using a pre-paid debit card. Things to know:
- PSE&G offers a variety of payment options and would never require a specific type of payment.
- Customers scheduled for disconnection due to nonpayment receive written notice on their bill at least 15 days in advance.
- PSE&G will never ask for personal information over the phone unless you initiated the contact.
If you ever doubt the legitimacy of a call from PSE&G, especially if payment is demanded, hang up and call us directly.
PSE&G customers have reported receiving convincing-looking emails that are actually fraudulent. Emails sent by PSE&G would never:
- Threaten to close your account if you do not take immediate action
- Ask customers to provide personal information online without first logging into My Account
Should you receive a suspicious email DO NOT reply, click any links, or download any attachments.
If you're unsure of the legitimacy of the email, feel free to call PSE&G Customer Service.
Impostors At Your Door
If anyone comes to your door looking like, or claiming to be, a PSE&G employee, ask for ID. All PSE&G employees must carry ID and present it when requested. If you are not convinced, do not let the person in your house. Call us at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734). A Customer Service Representative will gladly verify if a technician has been dispatched to your location.
Things to know:
- If the person at your door gives you a different phone number to verify his/her presence, do not call it. Only call 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
- PSE&G will never send employees to your home or small business offering cash refunds on deposits or utility charges. We will only either credit your account or mail a check to your service address.
Although PSE&G has a mobile-friendly website, we DO NOT currently have a mobile "app" for smart phones. Never download/install apps claiming to be PSE&G. Only access your online account by visiting www.pseg.com or by signing up for MyAlerts.